Choosing Right Keywords for Your Website
|Category||: SEO / SEM||Views||: 11722|
Mostly people create websites and submit them to a few search engines with the hope that they will get good business. But after sometime they come to know that only some people visited their sites and they have not get any business. Then they decide to optimize their websites with respect to their main keyword with the hope that they will get good position in search engines. But in search engine optimization professional approach is required because one has to work on many grounds. There are some steps for finding a right keyword to optimize our website.
The first step in SEO is to find the right keyword for our website. Keyword is very useful in increasing relevant traffic to your website. There are many ways with which we can choose the right keyword. It is very important step and we cannot escape it.
- Suppose we have created health related website. Our website sells health related eBooks, medicine and food supplements. Go to Google and Yahoo search engines and make search for "Health". On Google you will find 2,160,000,000 competitive sites for this keyword. If you choose this keyword then you have to compete with a large number (2,160,000,000) of websites. Many websites would have excellent ranking in search engine. Now think you are just starting but making competition with a lot of good health related websites, definitely they will give you tough time and it will be very difficult to get top position on Google.
- It would be good for you to take less competitive word get some rank and then you can take more competitive word. So you should not start with the keyword of Health.
- Now the question is "What will be the suitable keyword for us?" Copy URLs of some top sites from both the search engines and analyze their keywords and page rank to find keyword ideas.
- We can choose some related keywords for our website but do not choose the top keyword because you will face great competition with top keyword. It is a big mistake to select top keyword so don't start optimizing your website with such keyword. We can also download free tools from Good Keywords to get keyword idea for our website.
- For more keyword ideas go to Google KeywordTool and get keyword idea for website content. Paste URLs of websites you selected from Google and Yahoo search results one by one to get keyword idea. After clicking on get keyword idea a long list of keywords is generated. Analyze and narrow down the list of keywords on which you want to focus.
- Open word tracker and search each keyword phrase. Analyze the related keywords that word tracker suggests then shorten that list up to some keywords.
- For further purification of keywords repeat the same process at Keyword Discovery. The word "Health" is searched for 280062 times and the website which hold top position also have good rank. So it would be difficult to compete using this keyword with websites having good ranking on search engine.
- Now we find keyword phrases like "care health", "health educator" etc. If we use "care health" as keyword then the top site having this keyword has page rank 5, with which we can compete. Now we have selected and shortened the list of keywords with the help of Google, Wordtracker and keyword discovery.
- Now open Google search engine and type your selected keyword phrases within quotes. With this Google will show the list of only those websites having exact phrase. Check how many pages contain that phrase. Lower the number of pages having the exact phrase better it is to compete with lesser competitors.
- We can use this keyword for our homepage (i.e. www.domain.com) to get immediate advantages. Now with the help of these keywords write quality content which will make your website great for your visitors. Your keywords should be used properly and in an informative and innovative way.
- Use group of words as keyword.
- Your keyword and description of website should be relevant to your website theme.
- Try to understand your visitors' requirements and demands.
- Choose a narrow list of keywords which should be less competitive.
- Localize your keywords but not to much limited or localized.
- Choose a primary keyword for which to optimize your web page and some secondary keywords that can increase your potential visitors.
- Use 3 or 4 different keyword on each of your web page.
- Place your keywords in title tag, header tag, ALT tag, anchor tag, Meta tags and comments etc.
- Don't misspell your keywords.
- Check keyword density for your keyword, the higher the density the better it is.
Page Rank: Google's way to give specific value how popular your website is.